<$BlogRSDUrl$>

2.14.2006

Get Out of My Dreams and Into My World Baseball Classic 

I haven't written much about the World Baseball Classic this winter because I don't want to keel over at my keyboard in a narcoleptic fit.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Sorry -- where was I?

Oh yes. World Baseball Classic. Despite my haughty liberal-elite blue state disdain for international baseball tournaments, I have to give some love to the USA! USA! USA!'s own Randy Winn, who made the 30-man roster for the Freedom Lovers. We also learned today that Randy weighs 89 kilograms, which makes me think the WBC will capture imaginations in the USA! USA! USA! about as well as Jimmy Carter's metric system.

Scanning the rest of the provisional rosters -- the other countries haven't yet announced their final 30 -- there are a few other Giants sprinkled about: Moises Alou, Armando Benitez and Pedro Feliz for the Dominican Republic, Omar Vizquel for Venezuela, Angel Chavez for Panama, and promising lefty minor leaguer Jonathan Sanchez for Puerto Rico (via Seattle).

There's also some cheating going on. The Italians seem to have a Kasey Olenberger of Santa Rosa, Calif. on their roster. Maybe his ancestors are from the Sudtirol. And Mark Mulder is listed on the Dutch team. Is it because he was born in (no kidding) South Holland, Ill.?

Then again, the Aussies have Damian Moss on their provisional roster, which is kind of like self-cheating. I guess it balances out.

My prediction: USA v. Dominican Republic in the final. Pedro Feliz hits a tournament-winning home run in the bottom of the 9th off Joe Nathan and decides to retire on the spot.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com