<$BlogRSDUrl$>

6.14.2004

Wiley Gone 

One of my favorite sportswriters, Ralph Wiley, has just died of a heart attack at the age of 52.

Author of one of the best pieces on Barry Bonds I've ever read, Wiley was one of my favorites because he wrote frankly and with humor and grace about race, which in this era of political correctness and beyond has become nearly taboo. And, as evidenced in the Bonds article, he loved to break the formulas of sports writing, looking to theater and poetry and other arts for inspiration. He could come off as pretentious when it didn't work (some passages of the aforementioned Bonds article make me cringe), but even when I didn't love what he was doing I loved what he was trying to do.




|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com