<$BlogRSDUrl$>

4.17.2004

Stupid, Stupid, Stupid 

I just got back from the game. Now, I don't want to sound mean or anything. But when it comes to in-game smarts, the Giants should have a ton with all their veterans, right? And no one is more veteran and wizened and savvy than Marquis Grissom, right?

That, ladies and germs, is known as a rhetorical question.

Grissom made one of the all-time bonehead plays in last year's playoffs, trying to steal third base off Pudge-Rod when the Giants were rallying in Game 3.

Today, he nearly equaled it. The Giants had Gag-Me on the ropes in the 9th. A Feliz home run (to right field, natch--I'm telling you, he's coming around), a walk to Hammonds, a bunt by Neifi, a walk to Snow. 1st and 2nd, only one out. "Please," I said to A-Ron, Son of Ron, who was rally-capping it next to me in the 1-3-8, "anything but a double play."

Now, if you knew that Bonds was up next and that you had to do whatever it took to get him up, would you swing at a slider down and away? Even after taking a strike, wouldn't you rather strike out than risk the chance of a double play? Wouldn't you even consider dropping a bunt down the third base line with Adrian Beltre playing deep and guarding the line?

Not if you're Marquis Grissom.

As I mentioned in that post way back when, I'm tired of the punch-and-Judy, Barry-Bonds-and-the-Seven-Dwarfs crap, the good clubhouse chemistry that doesn't mean shit once the players take the field. I want Milton Bradley in center field. I want Juan Gonzalez. I want a group of malcontents who break things in the dugout and hit the crap out of the ball.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com